7.05.2007

John Edwards' Hair has a Carbon Footprint

John Edwards' hair is in the news again. It's like a cowlick he can't get rid of. You'd think at $400 a clip he could get rid of that cowlick, but it's the $400 clipping that keeps propelling this story back into view.

I don't care how much Breck Boy spends on his haircuts - $400, $1000, $4000, it's his choice. I think he's an idiot, but I think that even without the spendy haircuts.

I do have an issue with Edwards running around preaching to us about Two America's , the "haves" and "have nots", the class warfare plank of his campaign, while he's spending $400 on haircuts and flying his bestest, most special hair stylist around the United States to tend his tonsorial needs.

The Beverly Hills hairstylist, a Democrat, said he hit it off with then-Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina at a meeting in Los Angeles that brought several fashion experts together to advise the candidate on his appearance. Since then, Torrenueva has cut Edwards's hair at least 16 times.

Along with John Edwards' class warfare campaign plank, he has made a big deal about global warming. Edwards proposes capping carbon emissions in pursuit of solving that non-problem. Yet, Edwards has no problem flying his expensive barber to his locations on the campaign trail in carbon emitting commercial aircraft. Sure, that's better than the private, carbon spewing jets these global warming alarmists typically use for their own travels, but when you're a global warming alarmist, flying your hair dresser all over the United States has to be seen as frivolous in the carbon footprint aware community. I'm sure Breck Boy is purchasing carbon offsets for this; probably from Al Goreacle's carbon offset business. Hopefully not from campaign funds.

At first, the haircuts were free. But because Torrenueva often had to fly somewhere on the campaign trail to meet his client, he began charging $300 to $500 for each cut, plus the cost of airfare and hotels when he had to travel outside California.

Torrenueva said one haircut during the 2004 presidential race cost $1,250 because he traveled to Atlanta and lost two days of work.

Another detail about John Edwards that came out in this story - you don't want to be a buddy of his when he gets embarrassed by one of his missteps, 'cuz Breck Boy will disavow knowing you.

Edwards said that he was embarrassed by the cost and that he "didn't know it would be that expensive," suggesting the haircuts were some kind of aberration given by "that guy" his staff had arranged. [...]

"I'm disappointed and I do feel bad. If I know someone, I'm not going to say I don't know them," he said. "When he called me 'that guy,' that hit my ears. It hurt." He paused and then added, "I still like him. . . . I don't want to hurt him."

I guess there is Two America's after all; John Edwards and the rest of us schlubs.